Join the Pump Up the Jams Challenge Feb. 1 – 26
The bWell retro revival continues, and this time we’re pumping up the jams. In support of American Heart Month, Totally bWell invites you to “get physical.” Join the Pump Up the Jams Challenge and complete 500 minutes of cardiovascular exercise in February.
Regular cardiovascular exercise, the kind that raises your heart rate and makes you breathe heavily, helps improve your quality of life. It also lowers many of your risks for heart disease. It can:
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol
- Reduce blood sugar levels
- Help with weight control
This daily commitment to yourself can also help you manage stress, sleep better, and prevent depression. Combine exercise with a healthy diet, and you’ll see even greater rewards.
Team Up to Pump It Up!
- Teams should have a minimum of four and a maximum of six members. Teams without the four minimum members by February 5 will need to find a new team to join.
- To assemble a team, simply log in to mybmcwellness.com, join the Pump Up the Jams challenge and click “Create New Group.” You can give your team a rad name. Once you enter your team name, you can share it with your friends, so you can create a virtual cardio support group.
- To join a team, log in to mybmcwellness.com, join the Pump Up the Jams challenge and either look up your friend’s team name or browse the existing team names and sign up to start moving and grooving as a group!
- And don’t forget to hurry! You must be part of a team by February 5 to participate in this hibernation health jam.
- Members of the winning team with the highest average number of cardio minutes will each win a $200 gift card*. The two individuals with the highest number of cardio minutes logged will also win a $200 gift card. (*The Internal Revenue Code considers the gift card value as taxable income).
Get bWell Rewards
- Every participant who completes 500 minutes of cardiovascular exercise (that’s 125 minutes a week) between February 1–26 and logs their activity on mybmcwellness.com will earn 500 bWell points.
- Participating in the Pump Up the Jams Challenge and achieving the 500-minute goal gets you 500 bWell points closer to the Brick Phone level. When you reach the Brick Phone level with 8,000 points, you are eligible to win awesome prizes!
What Types of Activities are Considered Cardio?
Most people think of cardio as a prolonged, slow distance activity like running, biking, and hiking. But in reality, any form of exercise is a cardio exercise: weight training is cardio, and dancing is cardio. Cardio is anything that raises your heart rate and makes you breathe heavy. Jog, swim, golf, hike, play basketball, dance, do yoga— whatever you love to do. The most important thing is to choose how you’ll move and then “just do it.” Learn more about the different types of cardio to get you moving from healthline.com.
You Don’t Need a Mixed Tape to Mix It Up
- Listen to music. Music can get you in a good mood, motivate you, put you “in the zone,” and just get you moving and grooving. Grab your leg warmers and spandex, and let’s get physical with this 80s playlist. Find a fun way to get moving and compete in the challenge.
- Get the party going on the dance floor. Never underestimate the power of a good dance party. Check out this Pump Up the Jam TikTok compilation for inspiration.
- Stay active at home. Ah, yes. The at-home workout thing is real. The Cleveland Clinic says it’s possible. Read more.
- Family cardio. Pump up the jams at home with your kids. Plan a dance party and enjoy family time while you work on the challenge goal. Find a teacher-approved playlist here.
- Walk this way. The simplest way to get moving and improve your health is to start walking. It’s free, easy, and can be done just about anywhere, even in place. Walking to your favorite jams may help get you moving. Just make sure you still hear traffic. Read how to fit in walking morning, noon, or night from the American Heart Association.
- Create a circuit home workout. Circuits can be a great way to work out without any special equipment. Here’s how to create a circuit home workout.
- How to get motivated. Check out these tips from healthline.com on how to motivate yourself to work out.
Pump Up the Jams
Get ready to retro sweat. Find yourself an excellent 80s playlist. The “Stanger Things” inspired one on Spotify is a pretty good place to start if you’re a fan.
Feel Better and Win!
Get ready to sweat, breathe heavy, and maybe even mess up your hair as you complete 500 minutes of cardio exercise between February 1–26. Log your activity on mybmcwellness.com, and you earn 500 bWell points. You’ll feel better and move 500 bWell points closer to the Brick Phone level. When you reach the Brick Phone level with 8,000 points, you are eligible to win rad prizes!
Walk. Run. Dance. Play. What’s your move?