One small step for you, one giant leap for your health...
Sometimes taking that first simple action to start a wellness odyssey can have a huge impact on your overall health. A few steps each day, a short swim, or even a few minutes of stretching can lead to better habits, help you feel great, and prevent serious health issues. Our bWell program challenges are a great way to get started—and you don’t have to make the journey alone!
Countdown to Launch
Have you got the Right Stuff? Now is the time to find out! Get ready to blast off and join others in exploring new wellness territory by participating in the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge, the year’s biggest Out of This World challenge! Gather a crew or join another space team and compete against other BMC teams to track the most activity. The team that records the highest average step count between May 1 and 26 will be awarded the grand prize, which includes a team trophy, a $250 gift card*, and 500 bWell points for each crew member on your team who also meets the 160,000 individual step goal.
Last Day to Join a Crew:
Saturday, May 5
Friday, May 26
Deadline for Entering Steps:
Friday, June 2
160,000-step goal. You will need to log at least 160,000 steps between May 1 and 26 to be eligible for rewards. Once you reach the goal, keep moving. Every step you log gets your team closer to the highest average step count and the Out of This World bWell program grand prize, awarded in September.
Choose how you'll move. Any activity counts (even moonwalking!), and the more physical activity you get in, the more steps you accumulate.
Take a Spacewalk. Head outside for some fun in the sun (with sunblock, of course.) The 2023 Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge is a great way to prepare for summer and soak up the benefits of outdoor activity.
Try Plogging.. It’s as good for the planet as it is good for you. Plogging is any form of outdoor exercise while you pick up trash. Check out the benefits of plogging here or start a cleanup here.
Make activity part of the lunch-time menu. Lunch-time workouts are an excellent way of re-energizing your day. The break from your laptop/computer/phone is mentally re-invigorating. Getting out in the fresh air and increasing your heart rate is good news for your cardiovascular system and your general well-being.
Track your activity: Spacewalks are all about collecting data! Use your activity tracker or a smartphone app to record your movement. Embrace your inner astronaut and prove that you can move – a lot – in May. Read more about tracking your steps here.
Earn rewards; win prizes:
- Grand (Team) Prize: The team with the highest average step count wins the competition, receives an out-of-this world trophy, a $250 gift card*, and 500 bWell points for each team member who also meets the 160,000 individual step goal.
- Individual Prize for the Highest Step Count: One astronaut out of all teams with the highest step count wins a $250 gift card*.
- 160,000 Steps Prize: Astronauts who log at least 160,000 steps are eligible to win the random prize drawing for a $250 gift card*.
Ways to Move More in May
Being active doesn’t mean we need to spend hours working out or turn into long-distance bikers or runners. Find activities you enjoy and do the equivalent of 6,400 steps of activity each day of the challenge to reach the 160,000 steps goal.
Here are some fun ways to increase your step count and reach the Spacewalk Step-It-Up Team Challenge goal.
- Enjoyment is the key to sticking to physical activity. Choose an activity you enjoy, not one you think is ‘good for you.’ Or, link your activity with something you enjoy, such as listening to podcasts or music or exercising with a friend.
- Working out is play. If you have children, play backyard games like tag, hopscotch, and capture the flag. If your yard is big enough, croquet, badminton, or bocce ball are options.
- Beat boredom. Is this the month you try kickboxing or join a dodge ball or pickleball league? Maybe you make a splash at a water fitness class.
- Vary the time. Do your activity at different times and for varying amounts of time. If you become bored with your noon walk, try exercising in the early morning or after work. Instead of doing one 45-minute session, do three 15-minute sessions.
Track Your Activity
Here's what you need to know...
Your steps are automatically loaded to your account if you have synced your activity tracker or app to mybmcwellness.com.
If you have an issue with the website or syncing, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-240-0733.
For information about the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge or about Out of This World, the 2023 bWell program, check out:
You will need to track all your activity with either a tracking device or smartphone activity tracker. Manually tracking is allowed only if your activity wasn’t already tracked through a device or app. You can also manually add activities you tracked on devices and apps that the bWell portal or app doesn't support.
See the activity conversion chart to estimate your activity. (Please note: Activity conversions are estimates; your actual step count may vary.)
2023 Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge FAQs
Do I need to create or join a team?
Yes, you can either create a new team on the bWell portal and invite up to 6 additional work colleagues to join your crew, or join a team after receiving an invite from a team captain. If you haven’t been invited to join an existing team, create a new team and invite others to join you or you can email email@example.com, and WellRight will assign you to a team. Your team will compete against other teams to achieve the highest average step count. The winning team will win the grand prize — an inspiring team trophy, a $250 gift card*, and 500 bWell points for each team member who also meets the 160,000 individual step goal.
How do I create or join a team?
If you're already registered at mybmcwellness.com, log in and click on the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge graphic. If you’re a first-time visitor, go to mybmcwellness.com and click on Register to create an account.
- Create a team and give it an inspiring name. With our “Out of This World” wellness theme, we’re counting on you to be stellar! If you create a team, you are automatically designated team captain.
- Invite colleagues to join your team. Scroll down below the challenge information and click on Invite More Users.
- The last day to create or join a team is Friday, May 5. Teams with less than 4 members on Monday, May 8 will be merged with other teams or dissolved. If necessary, WellRight will create new teams with members of any dissolved teams.
- If your team is merged with another team or dissolved, any activity you logged between May 1 and 5, and tracked with supported devices or apps, will transfer to your new team. Activity logged manually will appear in your calendar view, available in the top menu bar when you log in to mybmcwellness.com.
Where can I see who is on my team and our current step count?
You can view your team members by clicking on the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge tile and scrolling down to the bottom right of the page. You can also click on Email Group to view your team members and send them an encouraging message.
What are the benefits of participating?
Think of the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge as a fun way to better health with friendly competition among colleagues. If you’re not exercising as much as you used to or you feel the need to start exercising, the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge could be the motivation you need right now.
Do I have to participate?
No, participation is entirely voluntary, but everyone is encouraged to participate. Whether you regularly compete in Ironman Competitions or haven’t stepped foot in a gym in years and the thought scares you a little, the Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge is for you. Besides, physical activity has undeniable positive effects on your mood, including reducing anxiety.
I haven't participated before. How do I get started?
The Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge is all about introducing physical activity into your busy and often hectic workday without having to set aside “special” time for exercise. Make yourself aware of the opportunities available to you during your typical day. Reaching the 160,000 step challenge goal may take some creativity. Check out these 23 clever ways to take more steps.
When will we earn our bWell points for completing the challenge?
As soon as you have tracked the equivalent of 160,000 steps, you will receive an email confirming that you’ve completed the individual challenge and awarded your bWell points.
Do I stop tracking my activity after I've logged 160,000 steps?
We encourage you to keep moving and tracking your activity to help your team win the overall Spacewalk Step-IT-Up Team Challenge.
When is the latest I can track my past activities?
You can track activities at any time during the challenge but we encourage you to track your activity regularly to monitor your progress. All activity must be entered by Friday, June 2 to count towards the challenge goal.
How do I connect my fitness tracking device or app to auto-sync with the website?
It’s easy to add a fitness tracking device or app to your WellRight profile using the WellRight mobile app. Log in to the WellRight app for iPhone or Android and follow these steps.
Text STEPITUP to (713) 565-4744 to receive text updates throughout the challenge. Message and data rates may apply. You can unsubscribe from this list anytime by replying STOP STEPITUP to (713) 565-4744.