Everything is Sunny in May
The BMC Shoe is back, this time to spread some sunshine in time for one of the biggest challenges of the Totally bWell year: the Walkin' on Sunshine Step-IT-Up Challenge, May 3 to 28.
Create or join a team and compete against other BMC teams to track the most activity in May. The team with the highest average step count at the end of the competition receives an awesome trophy.
Beyond the points and prizes, getting active is really good for your body, mind, and health — and there are so many great ways to get active! Whatever your age, size, or physical condition, you will benefit from being more active — even a slight change can make a difference! And don’t it feel good?
Move beyond: Maybe this current situation in our world doesn’t seem too sunny just yet, but joining the Step-IT-Up Challenge can make you feel like you’re walkin' on sunshine. Hey, yeah!
160,000-step goal: You will need to log at least 160,000 steps between May 3 and 28 to be eligible for rewards. Once you reach the goal, keep moving. Every step you log gets your team closer to the highest average step count and the gnarly grand prize.
Choose how you’ll move: Any activity counts, and the more physical activity you get in, the more steps you accumulate.
Track your activity: Use your activity tracker or a smartphone app to record your movement. Embrace your inner athlete and prove that you can move — a lot — in May. Read more about tracking your steps here.
Earn rewards; win prizes:
- 500 bWell points for participants who log 160,000 steps
- A $250 gift card* for the member of each team with the highest step count
- A $250 gift card* for the member of each team who wins the random drawing
- Feeling good knowing that you moved more in May to help your team and boosted your own well-being
Ways to Move More in May
It is time to embrace the warmer weather and move more. Being active doesn’t mean we need to spend hours working out or turn into long-distance bikers or runners. Just find activities you enjoy and do the equivalent of 6,400 steps of activity each day of the Challenge to reach the 160,000 steps goal.
Need inspiration? Get ideas on fun ways to increase your step count
- Enjoy. Enjoyment is the key to sticking to physical activity. Choose an activity you enjoy, not one you think is ‘good for you.’ Or link your activity with something you enjoy, such as listening to podcasts or music or exercising with a friend safely.
- Think back. Did you enjoy a particular physical activity as a child, such as cycling or basketball? If so, give that activity another go.
- Try dancing. Swing? Tango? Zumba? Flamenco? Watch an online class and be prepared to sweat.
- Working out is play. If you have children, play backyard games like tag, hopscotch, and capture the flag. Croquet, badminton, or bocce ball are options if your yard is big enough.
- Beat boredom. Try a new route for walking or biking or even a different room for your exercises or stretching. By having several options, you can pick one that suits your mood or schedule.
- Vary the time. Do your activity at different times and for varying amounts of time. If you become bored with your noon walk, try exercising in the early morning or after work. Instead of doing one 45-minute session, do three 15-minute sessions.
- Stand up when gaming. Make a rule that you can only play while standing up.
- Move with your four-legged friends. Sparky and Fido love the warm weather and sunshine as much as you do, so get moving together. Studies show that dog owners already get in more leisure exercise than the average person. Why not kick it up a notch at the dog park for an off-leash chase?
- When in doubt, move more.
Track Your Activity
If you have synced your activity...
- If you have synced your activity tracker or app to mybmcwellness.com, your steps are automatically loaded to your account. See the Team Tip Sheet for the list of compatible devices or apps you can use.
Using a tracking device/app and manually entering the same activity is not permitted.
If you have an issue with the website or syncing, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-240-0733.
For information about the Step-IT-Up Challenge or bWell Builds, check out:
Text STEPITUP to 25827 to receive text updates throughout the Challenge. Message and data rates may apply. You can unsubscribe from this list anytime by replying STOP STEPITUP to 25827.