You may not think about it, but the New Year is an excellent time to review your BMC Benefits and be sure you are up to date and up to speed with all of the coverage you have and how it all works. Resolve to use your BMC Benefits to take charge of your health care during 2023. Make the most of your BMC benefits throughout the coming year by making these practical tips part of your routine.
1. Check deductions for benefits on your first paycheck in January. Confirm deductions for benefits coverage you elected or rolled over during annual enrollment last fall. In fact, it’s a good idea to compare your first few paystubs of 2023 against the benefits confirmation statement you received in December. If you didn’t print a confirmation statement after you enrolled, you can find 2023 coverage information on MyBMC Rewards >Health & Insurance>Your Current Coverage.
2. Schedule any medical, dental, or vision appointments or annual exams you’ve been putting off. You will start the New Year off on a healthy note by taking care of your ongoing and preventive health services. Preventative care services like annual exams and vaccinations help you stay aware of your current health and any changes over time.
3. Work on your well-being. Take advantage of the information and services available through the BMC bWell program to help support and encourage you in keeping your health and wellness-related New Year’s Resolutions. Visit the MyBMCWellness website for more information and to participate in the program.
4. Check that you have all the insurance ID cards you need, and be sure you know how to get replacements or additional ID cards if required. If you need a replacement ID card, contact the appropriate plan administrator, and one can be sent to you.
5. Be prepared to provide ID cards to your doctors and pharmacy – even if you have provided them before. Your doctor’s office or pharmacy might ask to see your insurance ID card during your first visit of the New Year to verify your current benefits.
6. Be sure you know where to find information about how all of your benefits work.
A little planning will help keep your stress level down if and when you need to access your benefits. Additional information and resources are available on the MyBMC Benefits website. If you need help, don’t hesitate to connect with a health advocate or call toll-free 1-877-278-4420 anytime.
7. Save money when you need care. BCBSTX medical plan members can save money on out-of-pocket costs and earn a cash Member Reward. Higher cost doesn’t always mean better quality. When a doctor suggests a medical procedure or service, log in to BCBSTX.com, look for “Find Care,” compare choices and select a reward-eligible location. Then, have the procedure. Once the claim is paid, you’ll receive your reward check.
8. Review your plan contributions for your 401(k) Plan or HSA. You can adjust your monthly contributions at any time and the New Year is a great time to take stock and ensure that you’re on track with your retirement savings goals. Find more information about the BMC 401(k) Plan here and the HSA here.
9. Health care goes digital. The BCBSTX medical plans include several digital resources to complement your one-on-one experience with your doctor. These programs are available at no added cost and can help you manage a health issue. Services include coaching and, in some cases, may use internet-connected biometric devices and wearable sensors to help you and your family achieve health improvement goals. Learn more here.